Louis Joel Hack came to Irene in 1898 and established Hack’s Stores near to the railway station. He and his family have provided Irene’s shopping facilities for the last 65 years. Louis Hack lived in the old house on Plot No. 1 at the crossroads until he died in 1943; the house has since been rebuilt. David Hack is now in charge of the business on the site of the old shop, but in buildings which were rebuilt in 1952.